The digitization of this film was supported by a Recordings at Risk grant from the Council on Library and Information Resources (CLIR). The grant program is made possible by funding from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
Silent, black and white film that begins with a view of the Northwestern University Chicago Campus sign then shows Northwestern University Medical School Dean Richard H. Young, MD, walking around the construction site of the Morton Medical Research Building with another man. The south façade of the Ward Memorial Building is shown with its foundations exposed by the digging of the Morton construction site.
At a ceremony on June 15, 1954, Sterling Morton, the son of Joy Morton for whom the Morton Building was named, is shown placing concrete with a trowel around a time capsule in the cornerstone of the Morton building then giving a speech to a crowd gathered outdoors followed by another speaker.
Finally, faculty and guests in academic gowns and regalia are shown processing into the Thorne Auditorium and six men make speeches including University chaplain Walter G. Wagoner, University President J. Roscoe Miller, MD, Dean Young, Board of Trustees president Kenneth F. Burgess, and Sterling Morton. Select members of the audience stand and recite something from a program. The faculty and speakers are then shown leaving the auditorium.